One of the interesting parts of book publishing is the book launch. Although it is not mandatory for an author to have a book launch, but if you decide to, then here is how to go about it:
- Decide on the purpose of the book launch: It is important for you to decide on why you are having a book launch. Is it to congratulate yourself for publishing a book or to create more awareness about your book? Once you have determined the purpose of the launch, then you can proceed.
- Get printed copies of your book: Whether you want to throw the party in order to celebrate yourself or to market your book, the launch is still about your book. So ensure you have printed copies of your book for the party.
- Have a budget: Decide on how much you can afford to spend on the launch, so you don’t run into debt.
- Decide on a venue: Just like any other party, you will need a venue for the launch. So, you should decide on where you want to have the party; it could be at an open space, or in your sitting room, or in a bookstore. Just choose the most comfortable and affordable venue for you.
- Get some entertainment for the party: Every party is no fun without a little bit of music and drinks. So arrange for some entertainment, such as drinks, food and some music for the launch.
- Send out invites: Invite people for your party and ensure you also invite book lovers that could actually buy and read your book.
- Read a part of your book: On the day of your launch, read a part of your book to people; and, although this is optional, you can also entertain some questions about the book.
Aside from the tips given above, you can decide to add other interesting programmes to your book launch, such as a bid on who would pay the highest for your book, or an autograph signing session; but above all, don’t forget to have fun. After all, it is your party and it is your book!